Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge

March 9, 2007

Groundhog Day

Today when I walked into the gym in our apartment complex I discovered that there was someone on my machine. That's right, MY machine. Of course there were several other treadmills available, but it was my machine. The machine I use every day. And not only was my machine in use, but it was in use by someone who doesn't usually go to the gym that early. Not really that big a deal right?

It wasn't. But I couldn't stop thinking about it.

See, I am a creature of habit. I have only recently discovered this. I like things done a certain way, or rather, I like DOING things a certain way. Like going to the gym, I get up at the same time every day. I get ready the same way, this article of clothing, then that. I put my phone in my jacket pocket, fill my water bottle, turn on one kitchen light - the same way every day. I walk down to the gym and get on the same machine every day, say hello to the same man who is there every day, and run for 30 minutes. The nice man works on the machines and then a few minutes before I'm done running, he leaves. When I'm halfway done on the machines myself, a girl comes in and gets on the treadmill, then I finish and leave.

The same way. Every day.

But every once in a while there's a glitch in my seamless process - someone else decides to work out that morning, I forget to put my work out clothes in the bathroom. Someone is on my machine. And it bothers me. Not in a "Ohmigosh, how dare they work out on MY machine" way, but....it throws off my groove. I seem to tire more quickly, and I find myself randomly thinking throughout the day about why that girl suddenly decided to start working out. She wasn't there yesterday, and she probably won't be there tomorrow (she wasn't). And why am I thinking about this?!

I know, I'm weird.

I also get in food ruts as well. Before we moved here I used to eat at this mom & pop deli in downtown Corvallis. They had The Most Fabulous Sandwich in the World. It had me at hello. I went back the next day. Then I decided that really, I could make this myself, so I did, though of course it was never as good, not nearly. But I couldn't very well eat out every day for lunch, we just weren't (aren't!) made of that much moolah. So I continued to make it every day for the next two months. Every. Single. Day. I only stopped because Caleb pointed it out, and I got all self-conscious.

My latest lunch food rut? Sliced green apples with Adam's Peanut Butter. (I could write an entire post about my love for this insanely amazing food of the gods...one tidbit, I have to. Just check out the ingredients. I dare you to go back to your Skippy.) I also have a Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb Cheese wedge with 5 Ritz crackers and a string cheese. And so you all don't slip into a coma, I'll just say that I prepare all this food the same way every day.

I find comfort in routine. I know what I'm getting, I know I'll like it. No disappointment. That's not to say I don't enjoy surprises, I do. It's the little things in life that I tend to get hung up on. I have a horrible time ordering something at a restaurant but I have no problem planning my life out.

Another little OCD tendency? Probably. Is it normal to be discovering such integral parts of my personality this late in life? Can't wait for tomorrow....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

#1) I also find myself sort of lost when people are using the machines that I had intended to use. When someone is using somethinga at the gym that I want to use it makes me have to think of a "backup plan" and this usually wears me out pretty quickly ... and before I know it, I'm in my car and on the way back home.

#2) I've never had Adam's peanut butter, but that's probably for the best. I would probably eat a whole jar of it ... I need to be contained sometimes.

#3) Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb on cucumbers & celery -- yum!