Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge

March 18, 2007

Ginger Snaps

This recipe is most definitely my favorite cookie recipe of all time. It's quick and the results are simply divine. I've been trying to figure out why I like these cookies so much, if it's the bark of the ginger or the tang of the sweet molasses. I think though, that it has most to do with my memories than the actual cookies themselves, even though they are, as I said, manna from heaven. (I swear I've mentioned it here before, but couldn't find the post for the life of me. So if I have, deal with it!) My sweet fabulous grandpa who has since passed away, absolutely loved ginger snaps. He bought his, little thin disks that you could snap in two, and I used to love to grab a few and hold them in my little hands. They'd crumble a little, sending that sweet ginger smell northward, further whetting my appetite. He loved to tease his grand kids, me especially, and would hide them in different places every time I'd come to visit, and I'd spend as long as it took to find that little brown bag. He'd laugh, his little eyes squeezed shut, watching me riffle through their cupboards.

That's why these are my favorite cookies.

Ginger Snaps

Ingredients:

3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg (unbeaten)
1/4 c. molasses
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon

Cream sugar, shortening & egg. Add molasses and mix. Combine all the dry ingredients & add slowly to the cream mixture.

Roll into little balls* and roll in white granulated sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.**

*seriously little balls. I'm talkin' almost comically small. Think Whoppers candy small.

**10 minutes is the longest I've ever put them in for. Always check, ovens are finicky that way!

-------------------

I hope there is an endless supply of ginger snaps in heaven. My grandpa and I will sit down and enjoy a plate of them as we reminisce about our little hide and seek game.

1 comment:

Antonia Cornwell said...

I love ginger biscuits. Of course they have them in heaven.

I made a huge batch for my old colleagues but as one pointed out, "blimey, you need your own teeth for these" - they were rather rigid. I think they were in longer than 10 minutes. Will definitely give this recipe a shot. Thank you!