Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge

December 8, 2006

Living Life...In the Slow Lane?

So you spend your day watching your relatives children. You slowly crawl along the freeway home, trying to make it to your church's Christmas dinner. You make a late entrance, enjoy the mass cooked ham, funeral potatoes (with real live Cornflakes people!) and store-bought cookies. You chat about the weather, the lovely performance put on by the children, and head home at the oh-so-late hour of 8:30. With nothing else to do but sit and watch old re-runs and game shows.

No, this is not a day in the life of your grandma. This is MY life. This was my day.

And? I'm feeling a little........old.......lame........like we should be taking advantage of this lovely opportunity we have of living in the Bay Area. But we're not. I'm blogging, and Cabe is watching....America's Funniest Home Videos. And yes, we are fully aware of the fact that we should be living up our youth. Enjoying our fun, fancy-free nights as a childless couple. Cause I KNOW all you mothers out there are like "WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!??! DON'T THEY KNOW THAT THIS IS IT?! THAT THESE ARE THE LAST FEW YEARS OF ALONENESS FOREVER?!?!" I know. Believe me! I've been told a thousand times.

And yet, here we are. In our pajamas at 8:30 on a Friday night.

So this is going to be a post begging for ideas. We're in the thick of this ginormous area, but we have no idea what to do! Or rather, I should say, no idea what to do ON A BUDGET. I know that there are a zillion malls nearby, and some great restaurants (but see my previous comment about the ham and Cornflaked-potatoes) and even a few good movies playing. And maybe that's all there is to do at night. We certainly can't take advantage of the museums at this hour. I think I just need to do a little research, right? Maybe meet a few people. :) Befriend a local.

But tonight? I'll think I'll bake the cookie dough I made up this morning. Maybe I'll finally be able to get Caleb to watch "Bedknobs & Broomsticks" with me. Ah, childhood....

2 comments:

Kjersti said...

My vote is you should enjoy your alone childless-ness, and part of that is enjoying being able to sit around doing whatever you want without worrying about a crying baby. And maybe more than that, getting enough sleep. I'm all for your quiet night at home alone. IN fact, I envy it a little bit.

learninghorses said...

fun, childless couple nights on a budget, add alcohol free and that is us too. here is what we like to do. hike, bike, dog walks (outside summer), $1 movie theatre (and go the bulk section of the grocery store for all the fun candy-then sneak it in), miniture golf, dance lessons (splurged on a private on for the b-day now we plan to take them in January), local music (sometimes rock, sometimes folk). We recently saw a Warrn Miller film, concerts in the parks, local theatre (the community stuff, its cheap and entertaining). I go to the horse center and watch horse shows, but I doubt that interests you. We go camping and play cards. There is a local recreation place where for $3 we can workout and sit in the hot tub, we do that a lot. Bowling, golf, berry picking & jam making (in the summer), gardening (if you like to garden, community gardens are great). Oh, a guy at work has a game day, we plan to go to that next week. Platonic listings on craigslist, good place to find friends. Is that a helpful start?