Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge

August 31, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Labor Day weekend is almost upon us, and I find it's a very bittersweet thought. On one side I absolutely ADORE the fact that I get to sleep in, and hopefully do anything but think of computers, and Excel spreadsheets, and football games, reports, flight arrangements, hotels, rental cars, gift agreements, statements of intent.... I could go on. Not only can I forget about these things, but I get PAID to do it. The sheer joy is mind boggling. It's almost sinful. On the other hand, I know what it means. It means fall is coming, nearly here (the leaves are already changing, something I'm trying to ignore....). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fall. I love the gorgeous leaves, the crisp, cool air. I love pumpkins and squash, pomegranate. I love the way the sun light changes in the evenings, bathing everything in warm gold. But fall is fleeting, transitional, easing us slowly into the cold, bitter winter. Winter in Oregon doesn't mean snow softly falling, it means rain. Pouring rain, not accompanied by thunder and lightning, but fog. Maybe freezing fog or freezing rain. Winter in Oregon means no sun. It's a time when everyone burrows into their dens to hibernate until the end of JUNE, when the sun finally decides to show itself. When snow DOES decide to fall, it merely leaves a sprinkling. Possibly enough to barely frost the branches. This horrendous amount of snow shuts down the state.

So while I am excited for the weekend, deep down I know what it means, and so I am trying to enjoy the last remnants of warmth and light. Hopefully I will have some fun pics to post on Tuesday. Until then!

This is the snow that shut down a large part of the state. I know, I know, debilitating....


1 comment:

Danae said...

Hm... I think I would much rather prefer rain to snow. I can see why you don't want fog, and frozen rain on the streets, but I don't see that long, hard snow storms could be any better. Crazy weather! I am like you and I LOVE the fall. I can't wait until the trees in the mountains start to change color. It's a BEAUTIFUL time of year! And for you, the color would be all that more vibrant on wet leaves!! :)