Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge

August 20, 2007

Dessert

Last night we had planned to head down to our friend Mark's house for a barbecue with my sister and her best friend (who brought our *new* car! yeah!!!), along with a few of Mark's colleagues (and interns...). That was the plan at least, a lovely Sunday barbecue. I planned on bringing a summery pasta salad and a dessert. Nothing fancy, since um, we still don't have an oven. But that's another story for another day. I don't even want to jinx it by talking about it, but we're hopefully getting one tomorrow.

(This is where I make a quick dash to knock on wood, I'm not superstitious, but desperate times call for desperate measures...)

A few hours before we were supposed to head down for dinner I called Mark to check up on things. He told me that his friend, a native Italian, was coming to dinner and had decided to "whip up a few things". And by a few things, he meant three different types of pasta, two different types of anti pasta, and a little dish of mushrooms in his own special sauce. All this, thrown together on a whim at 11:30 the previous night.

We both agreed that it was probably smart for me to uh, ditch my pasta. Poste haste. There's no competing with an Italian. Ever.

Of course, it was absolutely fantastic. Everything. He spent at least an hour and a half preparing everything, and my little thrown-together-at-the-last-minute green salad looked piddly in comparison. After we'd filled ourselves to near overflowing, we sat around the table talking about how amazing it was, totally and completely satisfied.

It took me about five minutes before I realized that I'd brought Indoor Smores for dessert. Indoor smores. Indoor. Smores.

It's a lovely compliment to pesto tortellini, fettucini carbonara, and gnocchi. Just......lovely.

Very high society.

1 comment:

kelly said...

Just so you know, I think s'mores go with everything. It's the all-purpose, fun to eat, everyone loves it, and yes...high-society dessert. But as the Barefoot Contessa says, it's a bit of the unexpected. Which is always a good thing.