Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge

June 30, 2006

Fruit of my labors.......

Most people that know me are well aquainted with the fact that I am a little less than thrilled to be living in Oregon. However, during the summer time Oregon attempts to redeem itself for the months and MONTHS (did I mention months?!?!?) of rain we get by producing the largest, most delicious fruit known to man. My favorite thing is to go to a "U-Pick" which is exactly what it sounds like. A large farm where a family has planted enough blueberries, or strawberries, or raspberries, or marionberries, or cherries, or apples......I could go on.....or sometimes a combination of any of these, that they simply can't eat them all. They then put up a big sign, and the public is welcome to come pick their fruit for a miniscule fee. Last summer I spent an hour or so picking blueberries for the first time in my life. I absolutely LOVE blueberries, and probably could have continued to pick all day long. When I first arrived, several containers in tow, I was told that they had five different kinds of blueberries. FIVE!!! They let me taste them all, and then directed me to the areas that contained those varieties. I picked four pounds all by myself. Four POUNDS of blueberries cost me $4.00. I don't even want to think about how much this same amount would have cost me at Safeway. The thought makes me giddy though.......
We just picked raspberries last week, and it was $1.00 / lb. I believe we brought home 5 or 6 lbs of fruit between three of us, which somehow, has nearly disappeared. Partly because well, we eat them, and partly because I made jam for the first time. Easy "freezer" jam, but wonderful nonetheless. You see, I am a self - confessed jam snob. I only eat homemade. So here it is - my first jam product. First of many I believe....I enjoy jamming.........


No comments: